Dopey Challenge Recap: Full Marathon

Note: If you’re just joining us, please check out my 5k and 10k recap and my half marathon recap.


Sunday: The Full Marathon
Day four, and another pre-3AM wake-up call. Yeah, these were getting old, but last one! Woohoo! At this point a bit of delirium was setting in. We ate our typical pre-marathon meals, dressed for multiple weather scenarios, picked up our friends and drove to Epcot. I had heard that traffic could be a nightmare, so we left a tad earlier than Saturday but made it just fine. We had a solid hour in the (warm) car before heading to the corrals.

The weather would be very cold at the start (mid-30s) but would warm up into the high-50s/low-60s and sunny later on. We knew we would be out on the course for a long time, so we had to dress for both. I opted for shorts, a long-sleeve tech shirt, a short-sleeve tech shirt, hat, gloves, and a fleece throw-away top to keep me warm up in corral and for the first few miles. It was a solid plan, and I felt good throughout the run.

The first several miles were the exact same as the half the day before. We started on the highway, ran onto World Drive, through the auto plaza into the Magic Kingdom, around the parking lots (stopping for photos with Launchpad McQuack and Scrooge McDuck!) and through the TTC, towards the Contemporary and into the Magic Kingdom itself. We skipped all other photo stops until we got to Woody and Jessie, and even though the line was long we decided to stop. In a story that will repeat throughout the day, right before we got to the front of the line Woody took a break, so we just got Jessie.

Somewhere in the midst of taking a photo of the mile markers (which we managed to get all of them!), I lost a glove. Not both of them, just one. It was when I was ditching my throw-away top. So there I was, one glove, and it started getting a bit chilly again. Crap. We were only a few miles in, and there was a loooong way to go. Yikes.

Upon leaving MK, you head down Cone Alley by the Grand Floridian, and finally deviate from the half course. The WDW Marathon gets a well-deserved reputation for being a bit of a boring course, with a lot of long stretches on highways, lots of ramps, lots of dead space. You leave the MK at mile 6. You enter Animal Kingdom at 12.5, leave it at 14, and don’t enter another park until 23. The rest of that time is just plain, boring roads. In a repeat from our Woody/Jessie photo, we got in line for Timon and Rafiki (where’s Pumba?!) who promptly went on break. We decided to wait, and luckily it didn’t take long for them to come back, and we were back on the road.

Now, the time between AK and HS is miserable. You’re on boring roads again, until you hit the Wide World of Sports. This is just round and round you go, throughout the property. Even the DJs seemed pretty miserable. You’re there for a few miles, and as soon as you get out you feel relief. We opted against most photo stops there, since we had taken many with the characters at the start/finish village instead. Plus, I think Ro just needed to keep on moving. At this point we slowed our interval from 4/1 to 2/1. Eventually it would turn into run whenever we could.

With WWOS in the rearview, we were onto the last little bit: Hollywood Studios, Boardwalk, World Showcase and margaritas and beer! Wait, what? Yup! We opted to stop at the margarita stand and get some drinks to power us through the final half mile. I mean, everyone knows fueling and hydrating is the most important part of a marathon, right?

Ah, glorious!

We stopped at mile marker 26, listening to the gospel choir, and knew we would be finishing in just a few minutes.

We crossed the finish line in what was our slowest time, but also the most fun marathon we’ve ever done!

And with that, we were done. We had completed the Dopey Challenge, 48.6 miles of running in four days. A 5k, a 10k, a half marathon and a full marathon. Unreal. We started celebrating as soon as we got our medals, heading right for the beer tent to wait for our friends to finish.

We headed back to our hotel where we cracked a bottle of champagne and put our feet in the cold pool water. Eventually Ro and I showered and hit up Disney Springs, where we munched on some sushi at Morimoto and a few cocktails at Jock Lindsay’s Hangar Bar. We were beat, so we called it an early night to get some sleep. The next morning we hit up Epcot and MK for photos before a dinner at Citricos, and then drove back to our apartment to crash.

All in all, it was an amazing experience and we loved every minute of it – except the wake up calls. This isn’t something we would necessarily repeat anytime soon, maybe for anniversary years. Otherwise, we’ve got Dark Side half marathon coming up next – though we’re searching for another half prior to then.

Next up: a recap of our character photos!

1 thought on “Dopey Challenge Recap: Full Marathon

  1. Pingback: Disney Challenge Recap: Character Photos! | This Guys Life

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s